Pages

Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires...courage.
-
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Sunny, but Cold!

It's a gorgeous day today! The sun is shining, which is very nice. :) However, it is about 20 degrees right now, and according to http://www.weather.com/, feels like 4 degrees. Thankfully the wind is not blowing today; that makes it really unbearable out there. We are expecting a 'winter storm' tomorrow, so the kids and I went out this morning to get some groceries we needed. Now, we're fully stocked on fruits and vegetables and milk, along with the other things we already had. I shouldn't need anything else until next week.

While checking out at the grocery store, the cashier commented on how many kids I had with me. I wasn't sure if she was wondering why they weren't in school, or what. She went on to ask if they were all mine and if that was all the kids I had. She said she'd like to have 4 but doesn't have any yet. Her final comment was that I have great kids; so well-behaved in the store she didn't even know they were there. Some kids are so loud, apparently, that you hear them before you see them! Actually, I've been there more than once with my own children screaming at the top of their lungs. However, now that they're older they know better, and we often get compliments on their behavior. It makes a mommy feel good; thanks kids!

Since we were at the store this morning, we did not get any school work done yet. So, we are having lunch as I 'speak' and will begin our school day this afternoon. We picked up our 3rd book in 'The American Adventure' series today at the library, so I expect we'll have to start reading that tonight. I actually can't wait to get started, and I know the kids are excited. Maybe we'll have time to read a little before we start our Math and English.....

Hailey is a very crafty girl; she loves to draw, paint, work with clay, etc. She's always coming up with some new toy she's made for the cats, or making beds (or crowns) for her stuffed animals. So, we have lots of art 'stuff' in the house to accomodate her need to create. She has face painting pencils, and got those out yesterday to paint Corbin's face. He loves it when she does that, and they ended up putting it on arms, legs and tummies, as "war paint" I was told. What war?
Anyway, Hailey then wanted me to paint a wolf on her face. I am NOT an artist. I can sing, I spell very well, but I do not draw. However, how can I deny my daughter? So, she brought me the instructions, and I was actually able to follow them. I was happy with my work and she liked it too. I took a picture to document my success!

This is one of the things I love about homeschooling. We have the time to draw, read, play with face paint, sing or dance, and play games. And we still get our work done. Some days are better than others, but I am so happy we are home together. I did not have time or the inclination when I worked to do any of those things. Nor did we really have the money for extra activities like baseball, swimming, or dance. Now, we still have to be sensible, but we have both the time and the resources to do some of those things. Logan and Hailey will be playing baseball beginning in April with a home school team. Corbin will play t-ball with 5-7 year olds. They will also be taking swim lessons again in a few weeks at the YMCA.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wendy, so blessed to hear the successes of your school life and more importantly your family life (but aren't they one in the same anyway?) God is so good to his children and I am thankful that your family is flourishing. Thanks for sharing! joanne m.