Pages

Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires...courage.
-
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Just call me wishy-washy!

Well, I have been reviewing our current materials...Heart of Dakota...via their web site and I have fallen in love with it all over again! After looking through books that I actually already had on hand concerning how to make your own homeschooling plan, I found two very good ones by Lorraine Curry: Easy Homeschooling Techniques and Easy Homeschooling Curriculum. I read most of both of them (again) over the last two nights and there is some wonderful information about how to create a schedule, what to use for each grade level, etc. And it does seem easy...so there may be a time when I will go on and try it via her 'method'. However, after looking at the HOD stuff again, I am excited about what the next weeks and months will bring for us. I already have the next level manual (for when we finish our current one) and it looks as if it really will be easier on me by then as far as schooling Logan and Hailey goes. It is moving them towards independence in many areas...and honestly, many of the books and methods used by the author are the very ones recommended by Lorraine Curry in the books aforementioned. So it seems I am at least consistent in the method I am drawn to for homeschooling...and it doesn't seem to be textbooks, even though that's mostly what I was looking at and speaking of in my last post. I am not saying we won't change anything, we may, but I think we will at least stick to HOD for now as a guide and change things as needed. However, I believe using it 'as is' will be what turns out to be easiest after all. Time will tell, once the baby is here and we see how it goes.

Today was a 'warmer' day...up to 46 degrees. So the kids and I were actually able to get in the car and go to church...we had not been anywhere until today since Karl left! Afterwards we went to Uno Chicago Grill for lunch, then Target and Tops (groceries) for some needed items. I spoke with Karl during lunch, and it was a very interesting conversation...he's having experiences he will never forget! But, I think I'll leave that for him to tell as he has time. :) After our shopping was completed we came home, unloaded the truck, and the kids went outside to play in our remaining snow (slush). Today and tomorrow are warmer days for us...tomorrow predicted to be into the 50's....might I wear a short-sleeved shirt?! I expect most of the snow in our yard to be melted by tomorrow afternoon. However, the warm weather will once again be gone by Tuesday morning as colder weather and more snow moves in. We have to go out tomorrow morning to mail some packages...then back home to start another week of school.

Well, that's it for now. I have to go get the kids ready for bed (okay they can get themselves ready, but you know what I mean!) and prepare myself and my snacks for the Survivor finale and the reunion show! Bye!

No comments: