Pages

Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires...courage.
-
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Friday, September 5, 2008

What a busy day...for us

Today was an unusually busy day for us! When we lived in Florida and home schooled, the kids had activities 4 out of 5 days of the week, so we were in the car at least part of each day except Mondays. Once we moved to New York, partly because we were new to the area and knew no one, and partly because I knew we needed the change, we were not nearly as busy. The kids did have their activities...Lego League for Logan, Camp Arrowhead on some Wednesdays, ice skating for Hailey, and occasionally swim lessons. It's been good for us to stay home more, together, learning to be happy at home with our family. Outside activities have their place, and we enjoy getting out, but we had to learn that we did not need to depend on outside things to keep us entertained and happy...myself included. So today, when we had a morning meeting (kids in childcare there) and then an afternoon meeting (kids playing with the other moms' kids) it was a lot for us. For me! We actually were also invited for a noon-time activity at a water park, but I knew none of us could handle being out of the house ALL day. So we declined, and came home for some lunch and a couple of hours of relaxation. We will keep the water park in mind for another day, though. I'm glad that we've become used to staying home and enjoying one another's company. We're able to get our schooling done and chores...although today the chores and school were put off 'til Monday because we were too busy! I love the fellowship it provides us, but I don't love that we lose a whole day of work time here. It's still there to do tomorrow, though, so no real loss I guess. :) I've begun a 'to do' list on the blog...strictly for myself. The kids each have their own charts on the wall in our hallway. I just thought since I'm on the computer so much the blog was a logical place to put it. I use the computer every day...I may not open a calendar or appointment book each day. I may not get to everything each day, and some days will have more listed than others, but it's something. I will place an X by each item I complete, then start a new list the next day...transferring all tasks not completed to that day's list. I'm doing this in hopes of accomplishing more each day than I am currently. It's a plan, anyway.

Well, I am very tired. I am going to go lie down and read until I fall asleep...I don't expect to get very far in my book.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

I can really relate to you in learning to enjoy being together at home and content. We had a very busy day/night yesterday and while it's fun... once in a while, I am just EXHAUSTED by the end of the day(the kiddos too!). It's hard to believe that only a couple of years ago I was among the ranks of mothers that had a full time career and started my day at dawn running to daycare, rushing to work and then every evening was jam-packed with wrestling and church and meetings here and there. Change is good indeed!