Pages

Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires...courage.
-
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Learning to ride a bike...

Aaaah, the memories! I recall learning how to ride my bike on our dirt driveway when I was a little girl of about 6. Mom and Dad both took turns pushing me, brushing me off and encouraging me to get back on when I fell, and cheering me on when I got it right.

Hailey has tried to learn to ride her bike in the past, first with training wheels. She did fine, but did not like the way it wobbled back and forth. So, Karl took off the training wheels after a while, and tried to teach her that way. I can still see him running along pushing her from behind and trying to keep her from falling off all at the same time! She decided not to ride her bike for a while after falling off one too many times...

We've been talking about bike riding in the Spring for a few weeks now. I told the kids we'd get our bikes out once the snow melted. Well, there's no more snow, so out the bikes came. The kids have been out playing every day since it's gotten warmer. :) Karl and I love to see them out there playing together. This week, I think it was Wednesday, Karl got home from work a bit earlier than normal. Hailey had already asked about learning to ride her bike earlier in the week. She came in and asked him if he would teach her, and he said yes. She's learning to ride on Logan's bike; his is too small for him and hers is too small for her. Logan will get a new one, and Hailey will get a new one when she's learned how to ride this one well. We will be getting training wheels to put on Hailey's old bike for Corbin; it's pink, but I don't think he'll care as much as he's been asking to "ride the big bike." So...I'm going to share some photos of this weeks lessons. She's really taken to it,

and is proud to say, "I can do it all by myself!"

No comments: