Pages

Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires...courage.
-
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Monday, April 7, 2008

Teaching Assistant

This is one of the things I enjoy about homeschooling; my older kids can help teach the younger ones. I know it would be possible even if we were in public school, but I think we have more time and things occur to me more in this environment! Obviously, they are not teaching things that are very difficult. However, it is a big help to have the younger child read to the older child for practice; or the older ones read to the younger ones for practice as well as for helping to keep the younger ones busy while Mom teaches other children, or prepares lunch, or does other chores. ;)

Today, I had Hailey do flash alphabet cards with Corbin after she finished her independent school work. She told him the letter, the sound, and a sample word: A says aaa as in apple. She did this with each letter of the alphabet, and I did not even tell her what to say; I just asked her to work with him on the letters. :) I also had her read to him. This is good for her because she needs the practice for fluency; it's good for him because he loves to be read to and listening to read-alouds increases language skills. I could have stopped what I was doing, ironing, but I didn't need to because she does this well. Logan has done this for me previously with both Hailey and Corbin, but he was busy with his own work today. So, I was able to get my own chores done and they were still able to do their school work; even Corbin.

I began a different school curriculum with Hailey today. We've been using Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory by Heart of Dakota publishing, for spelling and reading this year. We used it last year, but only made it through the first 14 Units due to focusing very hard on her reading. So, we are now going to finish Units 15-34 before the end of the year. It's just a better fit for her than trying to do the same as Logan for History, Science, Art, and Literature. She will still have the option to listen in on any of his she chooses, but will not be graded on those. She really enjoys their spelling methods, and has done very well. I'm excited to get into the rest of the units with her! We started The Cricket in Times Square today (thanks Jeanine) and after just the first chapter we are eagerly anticipating what will happen next....

It's interesting that we are living in New York, and picking up where we left off last year, we are reading about New York. We learned about how the Dutch came to New York City (they called it New Amsterdam), and the book we chose (we had to choose 1 out of 4 selections, and I chose it before I realized the unit was teaching us about New York) is set in New York. God plans everything, and it is so obvious if you just look for His hand in your life. He knew we would make the decision to move here to New York; He knew I would switch Hailey to BLHFHG at just this time; and He knew that I would begin with this particular unit! I have a book about New York sitting on my shelf, that I have not used yet because I didn't know when to fit it in. Now, it will fit perfectly within these next units, and it will connect with what we are learning! I am so blessed by things like this, that seemingly have no connection, but are in His timing all the same. I can't wait to see what else He has in store for us! Does that mean He knows which house we will buy, and what state (or country) it will be in? I'm glad He does, because I really haven't a clue! :)

Well, we have to head to the 'Y' soon. Karl and I have some working out to do. Gotta build those muscles...I hope everyone has a great week!

No comments: