Pages

Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires...courage.
-
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

A New Unit

Today, we will begin our fifth unit in A World Of Adventure (with Logan) and we will be studying about The Renaissance and Reformation, for History. We will also read some biographies about people who lived during this time period: Sir Isaac Newton, Michelangelo, and Johann Sebastian Bach. In Science, we will learn all about the planets and constellations. Logan and I are both looking forward to this. Him, because he loves anything space-related, and me because I am severely lacking in knowledge on this subject.

Hailey and I continue to read about the colonists and the adventures they had while settling in The New World. We've learned that New York was first called New Amsterdam, as the first settlers came from Holland. When the Duke of York arrived on the shores, planning to attack, the settlers surrendered rather than risk losing a life to the large army the duke had with him. The Duke then decided to name the land after himself, calling it New York. We've also learned about different types of clouds: cirrus, cumulus, cirrus-cumulus, and stratus. Do you know what each one looks like and what kind of weather each brings? You should look it up if you don't. :)

Corbin is enjoying Little Hands to Heaven. I'm really glad we went back to this; I think it will be great for him. We've learned the sound for the letter 'Aa', as well as a finger play to go with it, and he really likes to act it out as I say it. While reading the Bible story yesterday(about God making light) he made a great observation/decision. We had an activity after the story where he was to draw on paper some stars, moon, planets, animals, people, etc. He chose to draw lightning, a tree, and the moon. :) Then, we were to paint over it with thin, black tempera paint. I think the idea was first there was darkness, then the light God created allowed things to be seen. (Kind of how Jesus brings light into the darkness of our life when we ask Him to be a part of it...He sheds light in the darkness, that we might see where changes may need to be made.) When the paint dried, we could 'see' the pictures he drew standing out underneath the paint. Corbin asked me, "Mom, do you know why I didn't draw any people?" I said no, and he said, "Because God didn't make them yet." I was so excited to realize that he truly understood the story and was listening. I love the Bible that goes with this curriculum! It's perfect for his age and ability. Also, last night when I put Corbin to bed, he wanted me to sing a song called As the Dear (that's what we call it anyway). I sing him a song every night but he gets to choose which one. Well, when I finished, he said, "Mom, As the Dear says aaa like A-A-Adam. As the Dear." A-A-Adam is in the finger-play we do. Anyway, my point is, he's making connections with the curriculum and using them in every day life to learn. That's what I love about the HOD products. If you homeschool, or teach Sunday school, you should check out their products. Everything is Christ-centered, the kids learn so much, and they really love it! Look here, http://www.heartofdakota.com/.

Well, we have more learning to do. I hope all of you are learning new things too!

No comments: