Pages

Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires...courage.
-
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Monday, July 28, 2008

Getting ready for the new school year...

I guess we'll be starting back up with school soon, possibly as early as mid-August. We like to get an early start because that allows us to take time off throughout the year when needed. I still need to sort through all our work from last year and get it stored away. Then, I'll get all my 'supplies' together, such as scissors and glue, colored pencils, markers, pencils, index cards, notebook paper, printer paper, scrapbook paper, stickers, stamps, etc. We use all of these things daily, because the kids are avid crafters. However, we'll also use these things in our schooling for Science and History notebooking assignments as well as for art projects, drawings, and any other art interests the kids develop. I desperately need to organize what we've been calling the 'school' room. I just took our large desks out of there so I can get to all the books, papers, etc. Once I've gone through those,discarding what we don't need, I'll put the desks back...maybe. I may decide to sell them; not sure.

We're looking forward to our new year, at least I know I am. I've missed the structure that our school year provides. There seems to be too much video game and Webkinz use when we're 'off'. I don't mind if the kids pursue their interests in that way, but it does seem like that's all they want to do these days. I have a hard time getting them to go outside...even though it's cool out. I have to say that it has been raining everyday for about two weeks so I'm sure that has something to do with it, too. It was a beautiful day yesterday, though! Anyway, we'll be using Bigger Heart for His Glory by Heart of Dakota Publishing with Logan and Hailey, adding the extension pack for Logan to extend his learning for his age. We will also use the reading program, Drawn Into the Heart of Reading, which was created by the same company. It can be used with children in grades 2nd-8th. Each level has its own workbook and books that the child will read. We will utilize our home library and the public library for a lot of these books. We will also use the library for many of the storytime books that are included in each day's lesson plan. I especially like the HOD curriculum because it is Christ-centered and it is all laid out for me; all I have to do is follow the plan. I like that. For Corbin, we will use Little Hands to Heaven, which is also an HOD product. It is their pre-k program, but we'll be using it for Kindergarten, adding Math and Handwriting, as well as a reading program. The idea is that he will be reading by next year, then he can move into the 1st grade curriculum when he's ready, and when we have to begin reporting to the state for him.So, this is our basic plan. I'm sure some things will change as we go along, but the basics are there. I can't wait to get started! I'll post some pictures once we do so you can all see how our days go.

Also, just to let everyone know, Karl's shoulder is doing well. He saw the doctor on Friday, and she has given him permission to do his own physical therapy at home. He's such a strapping young man! HeeHee! I think he's happy about not having to schedule appointments during work, but he wants to make sure he stays motivated. I think he will...he's gotten too used to his smaller, fitter body to let that go. If he doesn't do his therapy he won't be able to workout, and then he can't stay in the good shape he's in now. I know he'll do the responsible thing!

www.heartofdakota.com

No comments: