Pages

Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires...courage.
-
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, July 3, 2008

More pictures of NYC

I don't know about all of you but this photo, to me, encompasses all that I've ever heard, read, or seen about NYC. The press of people, the diversity of ethnic groups, the modes of transportation, the noise (obviously not heard in the picture but wouldn't it be cool if it could be!), the smells....all of these things ring so true to the picture I've always had of the 'Big Apple'. It's amazing to me that these buildings stand so tall, that people live here so close together, and I wonder how they afford it. On the last day there it crossed my mind..."how do they manage without a Wal-mart?" However, on the way out of the city, I noticed a Wal-mart just on the outskirts, so I guess they don't have to.

There are so many ways to travel in the city; subway, bus, taxi, bicycle, on foot...it's endless.

The one thing I never felt was fear. (Well, that's not exactly true. I was fearful both times that Karl stepped onto the subway and the doors closed; once on his shoulders and once on mine. If I'd been 2 seconds slower, I'd have been left standing on the platform while he sped away. Not a good way to spend our weekend!) I'm sure there is danger lurking somewhere in the city....but for me it was never an issue. I had my strong, confident husband next to me, and maybe the areas we were in are not so dangerous..I don't know. I just know it was not how I imagined it, and it was how I imagined it. I'm a small-town girl; who knew I would be so awed by the big city? I want to make it a yearly trip now...I loved it. I actually miss it...is that strange?

Here are some more pictures of our experience. Enjoy!
Ferris Wheel, inside Toys R Us in NYC. I'm so used to free-standing stores like Target, Walmart, and Toys R Us, that it's very unexpected to me to have these every-day stores right there in the city, but not free-standing.
Another image from inside Toys R Us.These were inside the store, too. I don't know if a Lego representative came in to do this, or if an employee built them, or what; we thought they were really cool.
Captain Jack Sparrow himself, in the flesh....well, in Lego! We had to take this photo especially for Logan. :)

No comments: