Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires...courage.
-
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The latest from the perinatologist....

Well, the ultrasound I was supposed to have on Friday was moved up to this afternoon due to scheduling issues. I actually called this morning because I had not heard from the office, and they told me today was the only time they could get me in. So, Karl did not get to go. :( He was planning to be there but he's working in Orlando today and there was no way he could have made it back in time for the appointment. Plus, the reason we were doing the u/s was to check baby size so we can make a decision regarding a c-section and we did not want to wait any longer. So, I went by myself. The baby still seems to be a girl...actually the technician said, "Oh, it's definitely a girl!" The bad news is she is measuring 2 weeks ahead (37 weeks) and is 7 lbs already. So, this makes us more likely to have a c-section. We just do not want to go through the trauma of another shoulder dystocia. I know it's possible that it may not happen, but having already experienced that once and now this baby is big....kind of indicates there could be a problem. I'm okay with having the c-section, as the doctors are strongly recommending it and I need to trust my doctors. It does make me nervous just because I've never given birth that way before, and I know it means I'll have to have an epidural (needle in my back, UUGGHH!). But the main thing that concerns me is that my labors move fairly quickly once my water breaks....and I don't want to get into a situation where we've made too much quick progress and can't really deliver by c-section. However, I do realize that God has given us this baby, He has seen us through all of the other pregnancies and deliveries, and I trust He will see us through this one as well. A lot of this depends on when I go into labor, too. Earlier and things are probably okay for a natural delivery. Later, and we need to do a c-section. Anyway, I'm trying not to worry myself too much over it. I go back to the perinatologist for another u/s October 5 to see if she still measures large.....if I have not gone in on my own by then. I also talked with my doctor last Friday about possibly doing an amniocentesis around October 8 to see if the lungs are mature, and if so then having the baby on or near the 11th.....things will become more concrete the closer we get. Another bonus is at least baby's little head will be round and beautiful. ;)

2 comments:

mimi said...

I will be praying for you! You are in my thoughts :)

StacyB said...

keep us posted, Wendy!
I will keep you and your daughter in my prayers. :)