Pages

Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires...courage.
-
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes with Ham

I've been promising to put up the recipe for this for over a week now. Please enjoy!



Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes and Ham



1/4 cup chopped onion

2 tbsp. butter

2 tbsp. all-purpose flour

1 1/4 cups milk

3 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (3 cups)



Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

For sauce, cook onion in butter till tender. Stir in flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 tsp. pepper. Add milk; I use powdered but regular milk is fine, too. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. If using cheese, add 3/4 cup to sauce and let melt. Remove from heat. Place half the potatoes in the dish, then add ham. We used leftover ham from our Christmas dinner, probably about 2 cups. (I doubled the recipe for our family) Next, pour half the sauce over the ham and potatoes. Repeat the layers. Bake, covered, for 35 minutes. Uncover, and bake for 30 minutes more or until potatoes are tender. Let stand five minutes. Serves 4.



** I adjust this recipe for my family. I have found that the cooking time varies according to how much ham I use, and whether or not I double the recipe.



*Recipe is adjusted from the Scalloped Potatoes recipe from Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book, 1989.





Hailey likes to help me cook. She did a great job helping me put this meal together. I decided to put some chives on top, and serve with sour cream and cheddar cheese. We added a salad and some sweet tea and we were ready to eat!

No comments: