Pages

Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires...courage.
-
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Food, Fun, and Fellowship

Okay... we all know that anytime there's a family get-together food is GOING to be involved! :) When my parents arrived last night, we took them out for hamburgers at Red Robin. I don't know how many of you are familiar with this restaurant, but for someone who would not touch ground meat of any kind for about 3 years, I will tell you this is the BEST place to go for burgers. They have many different kinds, but some of our favorites are the Guacamole Bacon Burger, the Bleu Ribbon Burger, the Sante Fe Burger, and the Five Alarm Burger. I always order the Guacamole Bacon Burger, without red onions, well-done, and with pepper jack cheese instead of swiss. It is absolutely delicious! Now, of course, this is not the healthiest of fare. They do have salads and wraps to choose from, as well as chicken burgers. So, you could try to eat a bit healthier while eating there, but you'll never find these menu items on any nutritionist's list of foods to eat! Today, I made homemade pancakes, scrambled eggs, and bacon for breakfast. We like to enjoy these with Reddi Whip, chocolate syrup, maple syrup, honey, butter, strawberries, etc. I always have plain pancakes, and sometimes I add chocolate chips, blueberries, bananas, or strawberries to the batter. We usually have "Pancake Day", as the kids have christened it, on Saturdays, but we delayed it a day so Mom and Dad could join us. For lunch we had Chicken Vegetable Soup with Barley. This is a homemade soup that I've just kind of put together on my own. Here is the recipe:

Chicken Vegetable Soup with Barley

8 cups water
2 chicken breasts
3/4 cup barley
carrots
potatoes
green beans
peas
corn
1 can diced tomatoes
salt & pepper to taste
chicken bouillon or paste


Place chicken breasts in a pot with water and simmer until chicken can be pulled apart with a fork. I add the potatoes and carrots to the water while the chicken is cooking to ensure that they are cooked through. Once done, remove the chicken breasts from the water and pull apart; return to pot. Add the remaining ingredients to the pot and simmer about 1 1/2 hours. I do not measure the vegetables; you can put as much or as little of each as you like. The barley could also be replaced by rice, noodles, or omitted, if you like; whatever works for your family. This recipe made more of a "stew" and we like it that way. Just add more water if you like it "brothy". Serve with biscuits or crackers. Very tasty!


For dinner tonight we are going to have Lasagna, at Karl's request. I plan to double the recipe since we have two extra adults in the house right now. I am using Hot Italian Sausage as the meat for the sauce, which is also homemade. I will serve this with Italian bread, a salad, and sweet tea to drink.

We've enjoyed our time together so far. Mom and Dad brought one of those checker games with them (the kind you get at Cracker Barrel) for the kids. This morning, my dad played each of the kids in a game of checkers while we all sat and talked and watched. They had a good time, and it was special to watch them play my dad. Karl took a picture so we can have that as a nice memory. Karl, Dad, Logan, and Corbin have all gone to the library. Logan had a couple of books to pick up, and there were some books we needed to return, so they thought now would be a good time to go. Actually, I "suggested" that Karl take Logan, and Dad and Corbin wanted to go too. They should be back soon. Hailey, Mom, and I stayed home for some "girl time". :)

I have always liked to sit around and listen to stories. I love to hear Mom talk about her childhood, and tell me things that I never knew about family members. (hehehe) I remember riding to town with Mom, Aunt Mildred, myself, Wayland (sometimes), and Stephanie to go get a coke at the Jr. Food Store in Summerdale. Of course, I looked forward to getting the coke and snack we would pick up, but I so enjoyed leaning against the back of their seat and just listening to them talk and laugh. We had some good times, and I am thankful for the simplicity of those days. I also remember sitting at the kitchen table with the adults when we had people (usually family or church members) over for dinner. I can see Logan beginning to develop that interest now, too. I was always disappointed when there wasn't a spot for me at the table. Then I would have to lean against the counter if I wanted to hear, but I was usually in the way there. I hope our kids have some great memories when they grow up, as I do.

I plan to have Mom show me how to use this sewing machine she gave me quite some time ago. I learned how to thread it, but there is a problem with the bobbin. I am determined to figure it out, via her knowledge, so I can begin to practice sewing. It is a goal of mine to learn to sew, and eventually to quilt. But I guess I need to start with threading the machine correctly! Hailey has an interest in sewing, knitting, crochet, etc., but I haven't been able to teach her anything because I haven't learned myself. I know Mom tried to show me some things growing up, but I must have been too stubborn to listen. So, Hailey and I will try to learn together. Maybe we'll tell you how that goes?!

Well, I don't have much else to tell. I'm sure I'll be back later this week to give more details about our visit. By the way, I think my mom is enjoying seeing the snow. The first thing she did when they got here was throw a snowball at Daddy! Anyway, ya'll take care. 'Bye.

No comments: