Pages

Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires...courage.
-
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saturday, March 1, 2008

A new street

When I visit any new town I usually start out with the tourist attractions, the buildings that you have to see, the popular parks and so on. But my attention is quickly drawn to the little differences from where I happen to be and where I have come from. In England those differences are not so subtle. I am just beginning to get used to people driving in the left hand lane. And in London, no car is more visible than the London Black Cab. They aren't all Black. That's just what they're called. Kind of like the Yellow Cab in NYC. The first thing I thought when I saw one was "what an interesting little car." It seemed so well preserved for such an old vehicle. Next thing I new the whole city seemed to be swallowed with them. I quickly realized that they weren't old at all, just retro by design. Strange, but it does seem very "British".
http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive/2006/10/19-lti-tx4-london-taxi/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Taxi





Another obvious difference is the police force, referred to as Bobbies, carrying no firearms and wearing their tall helmets. We’ve all seen them on TV but it is even more amusing to actually walk past one of them. I caught these guys taking a break from the action to discuss politics for a moment.

One perk of the Job, many patrol cars that I’ve seen have been BMW 5 series or Jaguars.

No doubt the first thing that I noticed upon landing in London was all the different cars on the road here that aren’t even available in the States. The second was the comparatively huge number of what we would consider “luxury imports”. Mercedes is like Ford here, and there is no shortage of Aston Martin or Audi either.




And in case you were wondering, yes black does seem to be a very popular color for cars around here.

No comments: