Pages

Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires...courage.
-
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saturday, March 1, 2008

Order dinner and get a new friend.

Lesson 3: Never order seafood outside of the U.S.
Last night (Friday) was our final night with the customer in the UK, and the weather forecast was iffy, so I picked a tiny Italian restaurant within walking distance from the hotel that didn’t require me to leave a credit card number to reserve a table. That way if the heavens opened at the last minute we could just eat at the hotel without incurring fees for canceling transportation and dinner reservations. Luckily the troposphere cooperated and we were able to enjoy a pleasant walk to dinner.

Laurentiu ordered sea bass, which at the time sounded quite good to me, but I was eyeing a tuna dish that they had on special. I was all set to order when I made a last minute course correction in favor of the chicken fettuccini.
It had been a full day for all of us, so there was happiness all around when the food arrived. The first dishes to be served were the orders of sea bass. Creepy how the eyes seem to follow you isn't it? At that moment I kind of imagined the table collapsing under the weight had I ordered the tuna. Although my Romanian friends didn’t seem at all concerned, the arrival of the food confirmed my choice.

Now that’s what I’m talking about. After introducing himself to his food, Laurentiu, seeing all the vegetables in my pasta, commented on my healthy choice. I, in turn, commented that his looked very friendly as well.
So I’m not the biggest fan of boiled or steamed tomatoes, and there were also a few peppers left on my plate when I was finished. Laurentiu noticed this and said “Karl, you left all the healthy things on your plate!” Remembering one of my previous lessons in Romanian proverbs, I responded “i fudulie!” He seemed impressed, as did what was left of his fish.

Overall we had a good time together and I wish my new friends the best life can offer and safe travels on their way home.

No comments: