Pages

Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires...courage.
-
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Monday, May 19, 2008

They do say the darndest things

One of the simple joys Wendy and I find together in raising our children is the funny little things that they say from time to time while they are just going about their daily activities, whether it be questions to us, instructions to each other, or just comments that come out of their mouths as some random thought occurs to them. (Most people that know us have heard more than once about 4 year old Logan wondering if I was a fossie.) I was fortunate to get 2 such comments as I left for work this morning.

The kids are now old enough that they can amuse themselves for periods by playing various board or card games with each other, and decided to take on monopoly this morning after breakfast. Logan was quite exited when he told me that they were going to play. I wondered out loud if they would have time to even set up the board before they had to get on with the business of the day, but Logan insured me that it would be fine because they were going to set up on the coffee table and could just leave it there and come back to it later. I said again, well it is a pretty long game. Logan isn’t the most competitive child, so I was amused when he answered, “not that long” he said. “We’re only playing ‘till we’re all out of money. “till everybody’s broke… Everybody but me.” He’s old enough to realize how that sounded and began to backtrack, stumbling over his words while I just laughed and told him it was ok. I knew what he meant.

Still smiling about that, I told the kids goodbye as I headed out the door. Corbin came running to give me a good bye hug and I told him to be good for mom today. He replied, “ok Dad. Don’t have coffee breath.”

No comments: