Pages

Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires...courage.
-
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Vacation in Cali

Well, we got to Ontario late Saturday night...it was a bit cold, and stayed that way through Monday. Wayland and the boys did not have to be back to school until Tuesday, so we got to spend some good time with them. The kids have gotten along great with their cousins, and can't wait each day for them to get home from school.

We've been working on the last units in Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory with Hailey and Logan (Logan is done with his curriculum for this year). We're learning a bit about the Revolutionary War, and we're reading a biography about Helen Keller. The kids and I are really enjoying this. Well, I know I am...we don't do school outside when we're home, though we probably could. We get up each morning and eat breakfast at the little four-seater camp table Melissa put out for us. Then, I let the kids play until about 9:00 a.m. We then get them started on independent work, at the same table. Sometimes they move into the shade, because it has warmed up and the sun gets a little too hot...and they've gotten slightly pink already. By about 11:30 or so, I begin to make lunch, and they're usually finished with their 'book' work. After lunch I let them play some more, then we do our reading portion for History, Bible, Poetry, any art or science activities, and our story time around 1:00 p.m. We've been finishing up at about 2 o'clock each day, then the boys come home around 2:30. It's working out well, so far.

We've gone to Marshall's baseball game once...he played great! And the two older kids went to his swim meet last night. Tonight, Marshall had another game, but we stayed home this time. I think Dustin plays tomorrow, so we'll probably go see his game then. I believe they have school until the end of June, and the month of July off. I'm not sure how long we'll be staying, but I plan to try and enjoy every bit of time with our family.

Annie is about 18 months old now, and is walking well. She's so cute...she has a beautiful smile! I kept her last night while Wayland and Melissa were at the swim meet with the boys, and my older two. It was fun...it's been a few years since I've had a baby on my hip. I miss it! Of course, I only had her for an hour or two, which is obviously different from having the responsibility full-time. :)

Well, that's about it for now. I'm sure Karl will be on again soon with more of his adventures. We've been talking a couple of times a day in an effort to stay connected. He's really working very hard, as much fun as he seems to be having. Prayers for 2 more days of stamina would be appreciated. I think he's running on fumes! The plan is for him to leave for home on Saturday, mid-day I think...then hopefully he can get to bed early on Sunday and catch up on sleep. We'll see. I'll be on to post again when I get the chance!

No comments: