Pages

Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires...courage.
-
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Early morning, sewing sorrows, and date night...

I woke up at 5-something this morning. When I couldn't get back to sleep I got up, went downstairs, and began cleaning the floors. The whole main floor needed to be swept and mopped, so that's what I did. After that, I de-cluttered the kitchen counter...we had lots of 'stuff' sitting on one end that just needed to be thrown away or put away. Now, we just need to finish the island and the bar, and get the box of photos off the breakfast table that has been sitting there FOREVER.....we'll be good to go. I'm planning to do that tomorrow. We also need to rearrange a few things to prepare for my parents' visit. They are planning to arrive Monday evening sometime. Part of our play area is going to serve as a bedroom for them while they're here because it's a bit much for my mom to try to go upstairs several times a day. So, we will move the craft table over near our dining table...we'll need it there anyway so we can seat everyone during meals....then we'll put Logan's queen bed in the spot where the table was. Logan will sleep on an air mattress in his room while they're here. It's fairly comfortable so he won't mind. I also need to get some diapers and wipes into a decent spot downstairs. That way no one will have to trek upstairs several times a day to change Emma while I'm in the hospital. I'll do the same with some clothes for her. I still want to make at least a couple more meals for the freezer but I don't think I'll get that done tomorrow...possibly Monday morning.

Tonight I made a dress for one of Emma's dolls...she got a new one at Goodwill the other day and it had no clothes. So, I took some old fabric scraps and threw something together. I am not a good sew-er by any means. I do know how to hem fairly well, but I haven't tried to make much so I am very inexperienced. It definitely does not look good, but it's good enough to satisfy Emma. Of course, she probably would not have cared had I left it without any clothing. ;) It took me about six tries to get it right....I spent some time cutting and re-cutting, sewing and re-sewing. And that was AFTER I had to get Karl to help me figure out the directions for threading the machine and inserting the bobbin! Apparently I did not have the upper thread done correctly, even though I was looking at written directions as well as a photo of how to do it....takes a bit for me sometimes. Anyway, he finally got it figured out for me and I was able to accomplish something....no matter how pitiful. My hope is to begin trying to fit in some sewing time regularly...several times a week maybe. That way I can learn my machine's ins and outs and gain the experience I'm lacking. I really wish I had taken the time to learn from my mom when I was living with her. My stubbornness back then is causing me problems now. Live and learn, I guess. :{

Karl and I had our date tonight instead of waiting until tomorrow evening. I just wanted to get out tonight. We went to Outback and it was incredibly busy. The wait was going to be 50-60 minutes. However, they had a lot of outdoor seating overlooking the lake and fountain, so we sat out there and were able to be served immediately. Many of the patrons did not seem happy to be sitting outdoors, but we were thrilled. It was a beautiful evening, cool, and we had a nice view. It was a nice time together, and we were still home in time to tuck the kids into bed, which they love.


No comments: