Pages

Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires...courage.
-
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Library Day

Today was a 'short' day in our homeschool. We've been doubling up most days to try to catch up...but today was our day to go to the library(we go each Tuesday), so we did a little less. The kids were finished, including their read aloud and discussion time with me, by 12 p.m. so we were able to leave as soon as Emma had eaten her lunch. Again, we got A LOT of books....many on animals, some Star Wars and Hank the Cowdog novels, and some story books for Corbin. Hailey said "If I read two a day I can finish them all" by next week...I told her I didn't know if she'd have quite that much reading time, though they do all get plenty. We should start logging them all just to see how many books they actually read in a week...

Our afternoon has been spent reading and playing....enjoying some free time before we get back to the books tomorrow. We have to dig in again and make more progress. Hopefully soon we can relax a bit but I'd like to get as far as I can before the weather gets warm for swimming...I know the outdoors will be calling our names then. I want us to be able to 'answer the call' when it does.

I've been reading some new books...on homeschooling, organization, finding solace...good stuff. I particularly like To Train Up A Child and I'm currently reading The Successful Homeschool Family Handbook: A Creative and Stress-Free Approach To Homeschooling...I think it will prove helpful.

I've also been trying to de-clutter, in small steps. I finally de-trashed our SUV today....all the water bottles, papers from church, gum wrappers, stray socks (?), broken clipboard, toys, books, package of safety pins, more books....have been removed. Well, except some toys of Emma's...I still need to put those in their proper places. I will go through the kids clothing soon, too. We apparently have some too-small jammies and too-tight shoes in some closets. Plus, I need to assess their summer needs...shorts? t-shirts? I'll have to see. We might make a trip down to Goodwill, both to drop off and to pick up needed items, but will probably wait a few more weeks.

I made some freezer meals about a week and a half ago...and they have really been a big help. It's been so nice to just look in the freezer, decide what to have that night, and take it out to thaw in the morning. All I have to do are the finishing preparations and any side dishes...fairly simple. I definitely plan to do it again, maybe for a month if I'm brave enough!

Well, time to go play with my baby girl before dinner.

No comments: